ST. AUGUSTINE'S CHURCH
The Carvings at St. Augustine's Church
We are proud of the expert carvings at St. Augustine's, which are the work of John Roddis who lived between 1839 and 1887. A prominent architectural sculptor with premises on Aston Road in Birmingham, Roddis did much carving for churches, most notably St Augustine of Hippo, Edgbaston (1868); St Catherine of Sienna (1875, now demolished) Goulburn Cathedral, South Australia; and Christchurch Cathedral, New Zealand (which he died during the building of).
He also completed the exterior carving of Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery (1885, excluding the tympanum) and was responsible for a number of monuments including the Earl of Derbys tomb at Knowsley (1872) and the Augustine Memorial erected by Lord Granville on the Isle of Thanet.
He was a founder member of the Midland Arts Club and became its President in 1885. He was also a member of the Municipal Arts Club. As well as carving the corbels shown above, he also created the reredos at St. Augustine's.
If you would like to find out more about the work of our parish or our services, please contact us...
Tel: 0121 454 8242
Address: The Parish Church of St Augustine of Hippo, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B16 9JN
Support our work at St. Augustine's by making a donation via Paypal.